Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If I have HIV can I have a pet? Brazil
Jun 18, 2011

Hi doc,

First of all i must tell you that i do not come from USA, so sorry for my bad english. I come from Brazil and my name is Francisco. 34 years old, uncircumcised. I had sex with a prostitute and the condom broke during intercourse (penis to vaginal ) and I ejaculated inside vagina. I tested 7 times with ELISA antibody/antigen method,the results were negative. (45,103,150,166,188,258,310 days). I also did tests for syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis B e C, chlamydia. The results were negative. I got symptoms that rashes especially on chest and upper part of the body,too much fatigue,abnormality in sleeping, headache. The immunologist said I need to consult a psychiatrist. So I'm dealing with a psychiatrist but I do not feel better. I am very scared because i think i am hiv+. Should I be tested for other STD? The result is conclusive? I want to buy a dog, but I'm afraid I have low immunity. A person with HIV can have a pet? Increase the chances of catching any disease?

God bless you. A big hug from Brazil.

Francisco

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, Francisco.

Your repeatedly negative HIV ELISA tests out to 310 days are definitive, conclusive, WOO-HOO-able and excessive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted.

Thinking you are HIV positive and actually being HIV positive are two very different things. Check out the chapter in the archives of this forum entitled "I'm Positive I'm Positive." There you will find many folks who were 110% sure they were HIV infected. Care to guess how many of them actually turned out to be HIV infected??? None! That's right. Zero! Zip! Nada!!!

I'm glad you are seeing a psychiatrist. I believe that is the best way to regain both your physical and psychological well-being.

Regarding HIVers and dogs, there is no problem. I've been positive charged since January 1991 and have always had pet dogs. My pooch is sleeping in my lap as I type this response.

Thanks for the hug, Francisco.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, indeed, you are well.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
High Risk and transmission risk
Next
Atripla for PEP for one year or more?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.