Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4/CD8 results. Help
Jun 16, 2011

Hi doctor Bob, I am from Brazil, age 21. Back in the end of 2006, I performed unprotected cunnilingus in a sexworker. Since then, I am very disturbed by the risk of contracting HIV. In april 2008 I had a CD4 & CD8 test that resulted in CD4=869, CD8= 750, and cd4/cd8= 1.13. I got scared since it was too low. I never felt any symptom of HIV during this time. The thing is, in July 2010, I developed seborrheic dermatitis in my nose, hair scalp and eyebrows, that I've been treating since then. It was the worse period of my life. I was so sure that I was HIV positive that I couldnt even study or hang out with my friends. In feb this year(2011), I took another CD4/CD8 test. The results came cd4= 1228 and cd8-954, with cd4/cd8= 1.29. Now I am still going hiv paranoid again, because I developed candidiasis in my penis last week. I am not fully circumcised, and I know that may have contributed. But its the first time I developed in my entire life. I know that you are questioning yourself: why he never took the HIV test ??? I am too scared to do it. I have too much pressure on my back, from my parents and etc, that I get too scared to face a test.

Please doctor Bob, what do think about my situation ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

Now what's all this nonsense about being too scared to get an HIV test? If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to man-up and take responsibility for your actions. Besides, when it comes to HIV disease, knowing is always better than not knowing. See link below.

Cunnilingus carries only a negligible risk for HIV acquisition, barring extenuating circumstances. You can read about this topic in detail in the archives chapter devoted to oral sex. Have a look.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The only way to determine if you contracted the virus is to get HIV tested.

Getting CD4/CD8 counts is unwarranted and inappropriate. These are not HIV-diagnostic tests. (Both of yours were completely normal.)

Now turn off the computer and go do what you should have done in 2006: Get tested! So why are you still her continuing to read this? I said turn off the computer and go get tested. You'll be glad you did. Now get going!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Am I at risk of Asymptomatic HIV? (WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU, 2011) ( IS IT BETTER TO GET HIV TESTED OR NOT TO KNOW, 2011) Mar 16, 2011

Previous
can i move on?
Next
% at the dates I am

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.