Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP effectiveness
Jun 14, 2011

My paretner and I were engaged in anal sex (my partner on the receptive end) and the condom broke but we didnt realize until after I had ejacualted inside of him, he didnt try to expell any of my secretions. he went and got a PEP about 12 hours later and I got tested for his sake the same day and I found out I was positive. I seeked professional help and came to find I had an extremely high viral load. he is a generally healty person and took the PEP seriously. i am wondering the chances of him contracting it due to the certain circumstances? and how long until a test of his would show positive?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Unprotected (or broken-condom) receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive with an "extremely high viral load" places your partner at significant risk for acquiring the virus. Beginning PEP 12 hours after the exposure will decrease the risk of viral transmission. Your partner should take the full 28-day course of PEP. He will then need post-PEP HIV-antibody testing at four-to-six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure. If he tests negative out to six months, he would be considered definitively HIV negative.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
giving hand jobs to different people
Next
Protected anal - shared towel

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.