Hiv-1/2 EIA RR, Hiv-1 WB Negative

Doc, I'm extremely scared. Went in for testing expecting all to go well. And this came back. I'm a heterosexual male, never did drugs. I did have unprotected sex ~10x months ago with a girl born in West Africa when we were in a monogamous relationship, but she claimed she's been tested and has lived in the U.S. since soon after she was born. I'm going in for more tests soon. But what do you think the chances are that this was a false positive on the EIA? How common is such an occurrence? I guess I'm thinking there's little to no chance I contracted Hiv-1 because it was more than 3 months ago that we had sex. But I'm really worried about Hiv-2 even though from what I've read it's a very, very rare virus in the U.S.

Hi.

A repeatedly reactive HIV-1/2 EIA with a negative confirmatory Western Blot would be considered a negative HIV test. This type of test result is not uncommon. Peruse the archives of this forum and you'll find many similar situations.

Regarding HIV-2, you are correct. It is extremely rare in the U.S. It's possible the initial EIA test you had performed had separate results for HIV-1 and HIV-2. (This type of testing is available.) Check with your doctor or the clinical laboratory that ran your test to see if a specific HIV-2 test was run. I'm quite confident follow-up testing, if needed, will confirm your negative status for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. If you're still in touch with your West African gal-pal, you could have her get HIV-1/2 screened. If negative, your risk would be essentially nonexistent.

Anxiety and confusion - Please help
50 copies/ml are no longer considered an undetectable viral load. Why?