HPV worries (HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS AND HIV/AIDS, 2011)

I'm 44 year old gay male who has been on HAART (Atripla) for the past 3 years with great success and no side effects. Have been undetectable the whole time and my CD4% has gone from 10.5 to 31%, all other levels are great and continue to improve. I live an extremely healthy lifestyle, eat very well, exercise regularly, don't drink and never smoked. I'm also in a "magnetic" monogamous long term relationship and always practice safe sex. However recently I learned I have the HPV virus including high risk types 16,51,59 and 55. Fortunately there is no cancer! My doctor said I should just visit a proctologist in two years to make sure everything is still ok. After all my hard work at taking control of my health and HIV this latest news has stressed and slightly depressed me. Should I be worried, is there anything else I can do to prevent anal cancer? Should I avoid anal intercourse all together, does this aggravate things? Thanks for your help, it is always a pleasure to read your intelligent and witty replys! Andrew

Hi, Andrew.

Unfortunately we don't have a cure (yet) for HPV. We do have a preventative vaccine that I recommend for those not infected. For those already infected, close follow-up, especially for those with the high-risk subtypes, and prompt intervention is the best course. Because you are also HIV infected, I feel the two-year interval for follow-up is too long. I'd recommend seeing your proctologist at least yearly and sooner if you note any symptoms. There is no reason to avoid anal sex as far as aggravating HPV or increasing the risks for anal cancer. You do need to be very careful not to transmit HPV to your partner. I'll repost below a link to some information about HPV and HIV.

Congratulations on living well with HIV and on your happily-ever-after magnetic coupling.

Be well.

HPV (HPV, 2011, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS, 2011) Mar 26, 2011

genital warts (HPV, 2011) (HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS AND HIV/AIDS, 2011) Mar 14, 2011

I need an immunologist to answer this. PLEEEASE!
Did my negligence put someone in danger