Clothing or ARS Rash? Please help!

Good day Sir! I'm planning to donate and help out with your noble project. Please answer my questions Doctor, even briefly as your time will allow. This is my 3rd try to get an answer from you, please help, even 2-3 sentences would be all perfect!

I am a straight male. Last year, 2010, i picked up a female prostitute. i was drunk. she gave me oral first, and then went on top of me. we had unprotected vaginal sex.

after a month i guess, i developed rashes on my torso, chest are and back. these were itchy, not raised. they were red, flat as the skin, and spread when scratched. but the rashes were not accompanied by the other symptoms of high grade fever, diarrhea for almost a week, nor swollen lymph nodes. The rashes were red marks, not bumpy nor raised, and itchy.

i saw the doctor, and she asked me what i had done recently that was quite out of the ordinary. I recalled that on the morning of the day my rashes appeared, i felt fine, no rashes, no itch. after taking a bath and choosing this black shirt that i put on, i felt quite itchy. but i left the house nevertheless. later on that day, i was disturbed by the fabric of my shirt. i kept on scratching my back and chest. when i got home that night, the rashes broke out.

i did not tell the doctor of my recent sexual behavior.

the doctor then told me that my rashes might be due to the reaction of my skin to the shirt's fabric, or to its dye, or to the fabric cleanser i used on it, and yeast might have developed on the shirt. I recall that the rashes covered only the portion of my body covered by the shirt. so i believed her then. so she gave me caladryl, and after one night of applying it, the rashes disappeared.

it has been exactly 9 months since the sexual incident i recounted. i have not experienced high grade fevers, night sweats, swollen lymph nodes. i had loose bowel movement a few days, because i am lactose intolerant, and my stomach reacts to milk, ice cream. but i didnt have any diarrhea problems as you have described, lasting for a week or so, with excruciating pain.. i have not vomited. i feel ok.

i've read in the internet that acquiring hiv through vaginal sex is pegged at 5-100000 probability rate. but also that 80% of people with hiv have developed rashes 2-4 weeks after contact. i guess the odds don't stack in my favor.

without taking the hiv test yet,

1. WHAT CAN YOU SAY ABOUT MY SITUATION regarding the rashes? WHAT IS MORE LIKELY-- THAT I HAVE HIV OR NOT?

2. Do i believe the doctor that the culprit was my itchy shirt? or Do you think there is a very high chance that i have HIV?

Hello.

Unprotected sex with a hooker does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently symptoms or no symptoms, STD screening, including HIV-antibody testing at the three-month mark, is warranted.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Your rash is not consistent with an HIV acute retroviral syndrome rash. The statistical odds are all in your favor that you did not acquire HIV from this drunken sexual adventure. (Why would you think otherwise?)

2. I very much agree with your doctor. The rash was due to a contact sensitivity, not HIV! Do I think there is a high likelihood you have HIV? No, of course not! But HIV testing is still medically warranted. Plus, it will provide psychological peace of mind.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV-antibody test is negative.

Possibility of False Neg Testing
To All Worried Wells....Please Read!