Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possibility of False Neg Testing
Jun 13, 2011

Dr Frascino, blessings to you for all you do to help folks on this forum. I had unprotected sex with a black female sex worker 5 years ago . After that event , I had the typical symptoms of seroconversion, flu like symptoms , fever , rashes etc. After a month or so , it went away. I have had 2 Elisa tests-I think for both hiv-1 and 2 and one hiv-1 pcr which were negative. In the past year or so, I have had several bouts with peripheral neuropathy and sebhorreic dermatitis and lately am having nausea and some low grade fevers I have read there are unusual types out there - CRF's , type O and N that might not show up on and Elisa test? Are there some different tests that might confirm these other types I can ask for? Does testing your CD4 t cell count confirm things? I would not like to have HIV , but if I do I would like to find out and be treated for it. Thanks Greatly, Worried in NC Also, I would like to contribute to your site - please let me know how to do that.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Welcome back to the forum. Your two negative HIV-1 and HIV-2 ELISA tests (presumably taken outside the seroconversion window period) and your undetectable HIV-1 PCR are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV disease. Whatever is causing these symptoms, one thing is certain: It's not HIV. Your concern about unusual types that might not show up on ELISA testing are unwarranted. It's also worth pointing out PCR tests do not rely on anti-HIV-antibody detection, but rather assay for a piece of the virus's genetic material (either RNA or DNA).

CD4 testing is not warranted; nor is it specific for HIV disease.

Stop worrying, N.C. All is well, including you, OK?

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your support. In return I'm sending my good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Any future plan to visit Australia?
Next
Clothing or ARS Rash? Please help!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.