The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I start PEP now?

Jun 13, 2011

I went for a massage yesterday. This guy was hot. During the massage, we both got excited, he put my penis into his anal. He told me he is clean and I asked him multiple times and he said that he is clean. Right after that, I immediately wash my penis with soap. I feel guilty and worry now.

Should I start PEP to prevent myself from getting HIV. I am really worry now.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Unprotected anal sex does put you at risk for STDs, including HIV. That your rub-a-dub-dub guy was willing to bareback with you is worrisome, as it suggests he might take similar risks with other clients. The decision whether or not to take PEP requires a more detailed history to further delineate the risk probabilities. Also, PEP needs to be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after an exposure. Chances are by the time you read this you'll be beyond your 72-hour limit. If you are still in touch with Massage-Guy, you might offer to have him rapid HIV tested. If he tests negative (a better word than "clean," which implies HIVers are somehow "dirty"), your HIV-acquisition risk would be limited to the remote possibility that he is in his seroconversion window (recently infected but not yet producing detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies). You'll still need an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

UPDATE: Man up tested, will get results today
Thank you Dr. Bob

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint