The bit disappointed mans question

Dear Dr. Bob, Thanks for taking your precious time to answer. All I need to know is regarding my first exposure. I had 2 exposures one month apart from each other, both considered risky. I received PEP for the 2nd. exposure only. As I took PEP for the 2nd. exposure, I do not know when to get tested for the 1st. exposure: 3 months or 6 months? I also tested negative at 9 weeks after the 1st. exposure. I know I must test at the 3 month mark, but may I consider this result encouraging as per the 1st. exposure or PEP might have interfered with my antibody production in the 2nd. month? I went all over the archive. There are many post-pep cases, none where someone took it in the 2nd. month of a 1st. exposure, and got confused regarding the results. I imagine that you think that PEP does never interfere with results, but with the 2 articles I found out there and lots of case reports of delayed seroconversion, I got scared. You are really a devoted and incredible person as you try to answer all of our questions through this forum. I understand how demanding this must be. God bless you! Please reply! Worried Anonymous

The bit disappointed mans again (just to remind) (Submitted Jun 6, 2011) Dear Dr. Bob, This is just to complement my previous question. I should have added that I am worried especially because I had all ARS symptoms altogether after 3-4 weeks after 1st. exposure. Thats why I do not trust much my 9 week test, and thats why I am especulating on PEP interference. Perhaps this is important. Thanks again! I intend to donate when this all ends.

Hi.

1. I strongly disagree there are many reports of delayed seroconversion related to PEP.

2. The recommendations for post-PEP HIV testing are clear and would take into account the extremely rare circumstances of delayed seroconversion from any cause. Post-PEP HIV testing is recommended at four-to-six weeks, three months and six months.

3. Your first experience doesn't really matter. HIV testing and your HIV status only relates to your most recent exposure. Stop worrying about your first exposure and focus only on your most recent exposure. Follow the recommended guidelines and you won't have to worry about "especulating on PEP interference." Finally, all negative HIV tests are considered encouraging, but you still need to follow the recommended testing schedule to have a definitive WOO-HOO-able result, OK?

A bit disappointed (WHY DONT YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION, 2011) Jun 5, 2011

Is this HIV symptoms ? i am scared
Newly infected. A little worried