Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is this HIV symptoms ? i am scared
Jun 13, 2011

Hi doc,

First of all i must tell you that i do not come from USA, so sorry for my bad english.

I come from Europe and my name is Nick, also i am 26 years old. I have an unprotected sex before 2 months-(66days) with a woman that her hiv condition is unknown to me. Vaginal, oral and her back.. 3 days after my unprotected contact i have had headache, fever (for about 3 days), sore throat and Swollen tonsils with white spots.(i still have Swollen tonsils with white spots after ~60 days)

30 days after contact, i have swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, in the groin(two large lymph nodes-diameter=8 cm) and on my neck. All these symptoms keeps until now(duration 35 days) I do not have pain but you can see my lymph nodes with your eyes.

I am very scared because i think i am hiv+. I have an anti-hiv test in 30 days but the result comes negative becuase of the quick time from the contact.

My generilized adenopathy scared me and i feel sure about my hiv condition, i think i am positive.

Can be other STD's cause generilized swollen lymphs?

I am very scared and i do not have someone else to talk. the duration of my symptoms terryfied me. I will donate to the foundation. I hope for an answer, Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Unprotected sex with a partner of unknown HIV/STD status does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently STD, including HIV, testing is warranted.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Just peruse the archives of this forum for gazillions of examples! Thinking you are HIV positive and actually being HIV positive are two very different things.

Swollen lymph glands can be caused by literally thousands of medical conditions.

My recommendations are simple and straightforward:

1. Get route STD screening now.

2. Get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. (HIV-antibody tests taken before the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive.)

3. Learn from this anxiety-provoking experience and never put yourself at risk again.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
risk of seroconversion in an occupational injury
Next
The bit disappointed mans question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.