HIV RISK?

Hello! I really like your answers and respect you as a doctor, my parents are also MD's but I can not ask them this question. I will donate as soon as I get my Tennis training saluary.

So!

I was in Ukraine for a couple of days and I visited a strip club, it didn't look that fresh and clean. Any way , I got a few lapdances, after that I went in a private room. Because I had to wait a couple of minutes for the girl to come i started biting the meat around my fingernails, I was nervous and stupid. No blood came but maybe a bit of meat was peeled off, I think that there was a tiny tiny cut that was red and if you squeezed it blood didn't come out, however let's say a drop of blood came out. I rubbed my fingers on her vagina, but none of the fingers entered her vagina, and her nylon pantie was on, I also think I fingered her in the butt, but nor there was the finger really inside, I kissed on her nipple and sucked it for a second, but no fluid came out as I know of. I kissed her on the neck and body but not on the mouth. Then she started t lick my ear and it got a bit wet.

Exactly 5 weeks after my throat started to hurt really bad and this is what got me very nervous, i also started having a bit of headache. My tooth started to hurt as well during this period , but my throat pain is staying. I am extremely nervous now, and haven't gone to school in weeks because of this since I only sit in my bed staring at the wall feeling anxious, I don't dare to take a test since I think it could turn up positive. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi.

I'm amazed that both your parents are MDs and you have such limited knowledge of the realities of HIV transmissions/acquisition! I'm also a bit surprised you feel you can't go to your parents with a question that involves your health, even if it is a bit embarrassing.

Your fears of being infected with HIV are unwarranted. Your excessive worries are most likely exacerbated by guilt. If you did munch on your cuticles before your Bouncing Bertha arrived in the private room at the Ukrainian Badda Bing and "if you squeezed it blood didn't come out," then why would you want to assume it was bleeding ("let's say a drop of blood came out")? Whether or not you were able to get the chomped cuticle to ooze a bit, your HIV-acquisition risk remains nonexistent for the activities described in your post. Gosh, if HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the planet long ago.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. That said, your symptoms and the timing of when they appeared are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). I would suggest you see your general medical doctor for whatever persistent or bothersome symptoms you are experiencing. There are many potential causes for sore throats, headaches, toothaches, etc.

That you have not gone to school in weeks and "only sit in (your) bed staring at the wall and feeling anxious" is worrisome. You may need help controlling your irrational fears of being HIV infected. Anti-anxiety medications and/or counseling can be very beneficial in conquering or at least coping with these unwarranted worries. Chances are if you opened up to your parents, they could also help relieve your fears. Sure, as parents they may be pissed off that your visiting strip clubs, but as physicians they should also realize the psychological (and physical) health consequences of anxiety induced by irrational fears. Feel free to show them this post. It might be an easier way for you to let them know what's going on. Also, my comments about responding to the situation as medical experts rather than just as disappointed parents could help blunt any uncomfortableness resulting from your discussions.

Finally regarding HIV testing, no one should ever not get tested due to the fear of a positive response! When it comes to HIV, "knowing" is always preferable to "not knowing" for many reasons. If you decide to get HIV tested, wait until the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive. I have no doubt your test results would be negative.

Now get out of bed, get to class and start dealing with your overdue assignments as well as your irrational fears, OK?

HIV risk from scissors and prechewed gum?? (CHEWING GUM, 2011) (PRE-CHEWED GUM, 2011)
risk of seroconversion in an occupational injury