Oral sex 2 weeks ago and have gastroenteritis now

I engaged in unprotected oral sex two weeks ago (msm). There was no ejaculation in the mouth. I washed my mouth with mouth-wash afterwards and no tingling ensued (so no cuts, a healthy mouth). There was also some fingering (maybe precum on fingers, but not too sure). After this, I asked partner of his HIV status and he said he's negative as of last october! He said he needs another test asap... no kidding. I couldn't sleep and called dozens of places for PEP, but the PEP reps said that I need not use PEP for my exposure as it was little to no risk of HIV. But now, exactly two weeks later, I have severe gastroenteritis... I can barely keep food/liquids down my throat and had a slight fever of 99.5. No sore throat, no swollen lymphs, just the stomach flu. I am now worried sick about this being an acute hiv infection... and do not know what to do... doctor, can you shed light on oral sex and hiv and this whole thing of acute hiv infection? I am so worried

Hello.

Unprotected oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. Take a read through the chapter in the archives devoted to oral sex. You should find the information enlightening and reassuring. I agree PEP was not warranted.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. There are many potential causes for your gastroenteritis such as stomach flu or mild food poisoning from eating at Ticky-Tacky-Taco. This type of presentation is not consistent with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). See your general medical doctor for evaluation and management of your tummy troubles. If you remain worried about HIV, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The statistical odds are beyond astronomical that you did not contract HIV from this oral experience.

Good luck. Be well. And remember, don't eat at Ticky-Tacky-Taco.

Hello Dr, Our planet need more Dr Bobs..
*Update and reassurance for readers* South Africa asking for help