Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is PEP warranted?
Jun 13, 2011

First of all I appreciate what you do. In particular, the effort in Africa which I am orignnally from. I have been living in the US for over 12 years now. Here is what happened: I had a sexual encounter with a female CSW and I used condom. A minute in to handling the business, I heard a pop and pulled out immediately. Obviously, the condom was broken. I put on another one and continued the journey (I thought I throw in some humor in my question). The lady also performed unprotected oral for about minute before she put on the condom. After I left the scene of guilt, I reached out to the lady and mentioned my concern about about the broken condom. She laughed at me and told me to stop "tripping" as there is nothing to worry about. She said that she donated plasma and that she has no health problems. However, I am still freaked out. She even went to say "Stop what you do if it freaks out this much." Does my encounter warrant PEP? I know deep inside that things are fine but I am worried.

I will donate to your foundation. Keep up the good work.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is remote. You had very brief unprotected (broken-condom) insertive vaginal sex with a partner of unknown HIV serostatus. PEP would generally not be recommended for such a minimal potential exposure. (It's also worth noting that if PEP had been warranted, it would need to be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 ours after exposure.) If you are still in touch with your gal-pal, you could offer to have her HIV tested. Rapid HIV tests can provide definitive results in just a few short minutes! If she tests HIV negative, your HIV risk would be reduced to the remote possibility that she was very recently infected and still within her seroconversion window period.

I would recommend you get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The statistical odds are all in your favor.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test is negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Will I feel like I did before HIV?
Next
Death (HOW TO DEAL WITH DEATH, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.