Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can you say "conflicting advise"
Jun 6, 2011

Hello Doctor Frascino.

I am texting you from the far away land of Greece. I recently had a series of sex acts mostly condom protected. Except one girl that spitted on my penis and me performing Cunilingus (or however its spelled) to a russian girl that i met on vacation in Jamaica. Ok I realize that these were pretty low risk activities and i should not be vary worried but i was.... So i went to have a test and relax about it... But i was far from relaxing.... You see here in Greece that governmental agencies and HIV-aids hot line state that 8 weeks post exposure a test in conclusive and final.

So i had an hiv test at 8 weeks post exposure it came back negative and the doctor told me to come back in one month for a final test at the 12 week mark so i did but i went to a different lab and had an other test (still awaiting results) but a doctor there said to me that I have to come back in the 6 month mark. And now i dont know what to believe or how to act.

It has been really stressful for me and i have spend a small fortune on the test and dont wish to test again i just want to know if i can rely and trust my 3 month exam If you tell me to go with my gut like an other nurse told me in what to believe i will go and set on fire the Greek parliament.

Yours sincerely George

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, George.

Yes, the various guidelines can indeed be confusing! I plan to discuss this topic in an upcoming blog.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low. A negative HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark would be considered definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Drug testing & false positive's
Next
Can you please answer?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.