Post donation Wahoo from a changed worried well

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am about to relay to you a tale of minor risk, major symptoms and unforseen personal changes.

I wrote to you and donated about 7 weeks ago with regards to a transexual incident but this is the tale in it's entirety, written from a

better place than 7 weeks ago.

It all started just after I broke up with my girlfriend. Picture a young, athletic and outgoing university student voraciously chasing a

medical school career. The MCAT was done and my interviews were scheduled. In short, life couldn't have been going any better. Following my

breakup, I went wild and with the encouragement of my room mates I was wheeling girls left and right (always protected of course) . Bolstered

by how fun it could be to be single, my roommate and I concocted a scheme for me to find a cougar online (we went cougar hunting as the kids

say).

Then the day came.....I had arranged to meet this hot asian girl at a hotel the day before my first medical school interview. Walking into the

room, I was hit by the pungent odor of cigarettes which penetrated into every corner of the dimly lit abode. The girl was cute, but slightly

different than her profile. She said she was 5'11 online, but in reality she stood a mere 5'3. This little lie would become one of many I

would encounter as the next few months wore on. She asked me to sit next to her and remarked that my face was twitching out of nervousness.

However, despite my negative gut feeling I was determined to get this story to tell my room mates. We started to fool around...she tasted like

smoke. Eventually she gave me oral sex and I was having trouble staying hard. She ordered me to lay back and put on a condom, which I did.

What followed is difficult for me to recount properly as she mounted me,I noticed that her black panties had a surprising bulge in them and

that I could not be in a vagina. It then dawned on me that this girl was not a girl at all. I didnt know what to do, I felt obligated to

finish. When I recount the event I don't know why I didn't stop it, but the fact remains that I didn't. She continued on top and eventually

ejaculated onto my chest. From here I do not know exactly what happened but as I percieve it she noticed that I had not ejaculated. She wiped

her semen off of my stomach and at some point she inserted her fingers into my ass, without asking my consent. I firmly believe there was

ejaculate on her fingers. She proceeded to pleasure me orally with her fingers in my anus..... I left and drove home with the windows down for

the entire car ride home, hoping that somehow the icy air could cleanse me of the shame I felt.

The next day was my first of three medical school interviews and as I sat there, all I could feel was this god forsaken tingling

through my limbs, what I thought was surely a sign of herpes. I called the girl and asked her again if she had any std's. She declared none

and that she was routinely tested because she was going to do a surgery. However, she also said that she was tired of everyone blaming her for

having std's and that the last guy that she slept with called her 3 months later freaking out on her. I was not educated on HIV enough at the

time to connect any sort of significance to 3 months. I blew it off and felt that there is no way someone would lie after being questioned

point blank about something so serious.

I spent the following week worried about herpes. My mouth became bone dry at the 8 day mark and I developed a white coating on my

tongue which would later be diagnosed as thrush (cultured Candida albicans). I lost 14 lbs over the ensuing three weeks. However, I lost more

than that. I lost my Sanity. I stopped exercising entirely, began to subsist entirely on pizza pops and my hygeine declined rapidly. I went

through two more interviews managing only to pull myself for the hours that the interviews required.

At the three week mark my throat became inflamed,coupled with a swollen cervical gland. To me this symptom spelt HIV, I KNEW I HAD IT,

despite what the doctors told me about my risk. Weeks would pass and more symptoms would arise. At around week six I had malaise, night

sweats, sinus problems a cough and an ear infection.

Throughout the period I missed 6 weeks of school, I dedicated my time to HIV. HIV consumed me and I didn't even have it. I read all of

the primary articles that I could. Sangamo biosciences became my new buzzword and I learned more about the disease than I ever planned to. Yet

in learning about it, I began to see HIV not as the terrible monster that its made out to be, but as an insecure fragile virus that can be

destroyed. I took a position in an immunology lab and decided to pursue an MD/PHD rather than just an MD. Even before my 13 week test, I was

given the opportunity to run my T-cell subsets as part of my project and they came out CD4 65%, CD8 35%, the first beacon that i did not have

the disease.

To conclude the long part of this story I will say that the experience pushed me into HIV headlong and showed me that the field of HIV

research is where I am going to be. I vow as of now Dr. Bob that I will fix your T-cells one day even if it takes me my entire life and

then some. Your Karma got me through one of the toughest times of my life and I will pay that back (sorry that my donation was small, I am a

student).

To summarize I had all of the following symptoms for my worried well brethren

2 weeks- dry mouth which lasted 8 weeks and CONFIRMED oral thrush 3-week-Sore throat and swollen gland (lasted 9 weeks) coupled with intermittent skin rash which came for about 5 minutes then left over the

next month (once on face,once chest, once arms). 6-weeks- Night sweats, Cough, sinus infection, ear infection, elevated liver enzymes (66 ALT which may not be significant). These symptoms

lasted only 3 days 8 weeks- muscle pain which may have been related to sport 9 weeks- donated blood to my project and took me over a minute to clot 10 weeks- got a cleat through my foot and it became overinflamed

Now here are the tests

5 week HIV DUO=negative 6 Week HIV DUO=negative 13 week HIV AB (3rd gen elisa) = negative

I just need one more thing, a dr.bob wahooo? I want to date this girl whos pretty special right now and I just need your blessing.

Thanks for your Help, you are an inspiration and I hope one day to shake your hand.

Take, care

A highly impacted worried well

Thanks for your kind comments and for taking the time to write in and share your story. I'm hopeful it will help others struggling through similar scenarios. Thanks also for joining the battle to conquer HIV/AIDS. The search for a cure has indeed heated up lately and if we continue to work together, I'm confident HIV will someday be nothing more than a bad memory.

Finally, this one of for you: WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Be well. Stay well.

STI's... (STRUCTURED TREATMENT INTERRUPTIONS, STRATEGIC TREATMENT INTERRUPTIONS, STRUCTURED INTERMITTENT THERAPY, 2011)
Is blood draw a route for HIV transmission?