Daughter found needle in school playground

My 6 year old daughter along with a friend found a needle while playing at the school playground. My daughter took the cap off and while trying to put it back on stuck herself on the thumb. The school nurse felt that she didn't stick herself too hard since she really had to squeeze her thumb to get any blood out. Making the long story short I took her to the ER right away. They drew blood for examination and doctor put her on Epivir and Retrovir twice a day for a month. They also gave me a schedule of dates for check ups for the next year. I'm really nervous and scared in giving my daughter these medications and the side effects. After reading about them on the net, they are very strong. She's so little and I just can't believe that I'm going thru this. My main concern right now are these strong medications. I almost don't want to give them to her but then if I don't I feel guilty. Is it possible to let me know your thoughts on the medications prescribed for her age.

I'm faithful!! Liza

Hello, Liza.

I recommend all folks (including kids) who have an HIV exposure significant enough to be started on post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) be evaluated and followed by an HIV specialist physician; in your case hopefully a pediatric HIV physician specialist. The specialist would take a more extensive medical history and advise if PEP should be continued. If so, he would review the dosage, manage any side effects or toxicities caused by the medications and arrange for as well as interpret the post-PEP HIV-antibody testing. From the limited information provided, I, too, would question the decision to recommend PEP for your daughter! Check with a local pediatric HIV specialist. She may well be able to discontinue PEP.

A bit disappointed (WHY DONT YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION, 2011)
Licking of the dick hole and risk assessment. Donation shortly by the way.