Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

no viral load in advance hiv ?
Jun 4, 2011

Dear DR BoB

I had exposure to hiv in 5 years ago to woman who had full blown aids and I did not know it. We had a fling unprotected alot than we broke it up and I found out she died from aids and cmv . I never got tested and trusted Her. Now I have alot of medical problems . Dry eyes very pale dry skin in which I cant sweat anymore. signs of wasting I went from a 42 waist size to 34 in 3 months very bad headaches after I eat with hearing problems. When I wake up my hands and feet are numb. I dont go to the bathroom and do number 2 that much anymore and my stools look pale and they float.My whole family and friends are worried because they say I look sick with my face looking too pale and skinny and they are worried . IVE had mental problems lately where people say I act retarted not in the funny way .I had hiv 1 and 2 test negative and RNA PCR with no dection of hiv. Doctor thinks I could have no antibodies of hiv if I have advance aids. They are doing more tests . Can a person with advance aids have no viral load of RNA? should I test for PCR DNA ?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

It sounds like you've got something, but exactly what I can not determine over the Internet. From your test results so far that "something" does not appear to be HIV/AIDS. You certainly had considerable exposure to HIV/AIDS; however, negative HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibody tests and an undetectable HIV plasma PCR RNA viral load are strong evidence you are not HIV infected. It would be extremely unlikely that you to have advanced-stage AIDS with such profound immune deficiency that you can no longer produce detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in your blood. If that were the case, you'd be much sicker and, as you surmised, your HIV RNA PCR would certainly be elevated (most likely sky high). Due to your extensive HIV exposure, it's worthwhile to recheck your tests to make sure there wasn't a technical or clerical error. In addition, your physicians may well want to begin evaluating you for other potential causes of your symptoms.

By the way, we don't use the term "full blown AIDS" as there is no such thing as "partially blown AIDS".

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE READ! CONFUSED
Next
Generalized AVN (MULTIPLE SITE AVASCULAR NECROSIS, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.