Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE READ! CONFUSED
Jun 4, 2011

I don't know why my current gyn ordered an HIV test again. I really don't want to do it but i don't know what's the right thing to do. I tested negative with elisa's 4 and 6 months after a risky intercouse, and at 9 months I tested negative again with the INSTI rapid test. It's being 15 months since then. The problem is that i have had recurrent vaginal infections, first gardnerella, and then a yeast infection. They came and go, came and go. Im really concerned because my current boyfriend have had groin pain ad a "funny" sensation on the area. About 3 months after having unprotected sex a doctor prescribed antibiotic because he said he has an urinary infection (He never performed a test in order to know exactly what was causing the infection). Now he is having the same symptoms (he tested negative before having sex wIth me and after one year of no having SEX with anybody else). About my gynecologist... she said "you're going to get this (she prescribed something for the yeast infections) and do the whole panel again" and then she stress on "INCLUDING HIV HUH" (like making a warning). I can't refuse to do it because she is a family friend, i'm afraid that if I don't do it she is going to tell my mom and my mom... pff! is a completly dramatic actrees!!! What can I do to avoid it? Are my recurrent infection really that suspicious?? thanks for reading. fernanda

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Fernada,

Recurrent vaginal infections can be associated with HIV/AIDS. However, this is not your problem! Your reportedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to nine months are definitive and conclusive. Although another HIV test isn't warranted, unless you could have had another potential exposure in the interim, your doctor is probably just being thorough and cautious (overly cautious, in my opinion). Go ahead and get the repeat HIV test. It's a simple enough thing to do. Based on your history, the result will undoubtedly be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can HIV meds cause false HSV IgG test results? (HERPES SIMPLEX, 2011)
Next
no viral load in advance hiv ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.