I am poz and he is not

Good Morning Dr.

Last nite, while preforming oral sex on my parnter (insertive) I began to have a bloody nose. We were using a condom on his penis but i am scared since some of the blood did get on his skin. I am HIV positive for a year now. I am also undetectable for the last 7 or so months. I am in a study here in Seattle for possibly a treat HIV at the early stages. We had done PEP this past November when the condom broke, but I am scared again because of last nite. We don't do anything else. Since I am undetectable, also I am taking my meds on a timely bases, he will be going to PEP this afternoon at work (so under the 72 hour period), but can he still seroconvert or become positive? I am so worried. I am ready for us to just become celibate now.

HIV-positive blood on intact skin is not considered a significant risk for HIV transmission. That you are on effective combination antiretroviral medication, which has driven your HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels, would significantly decrease all types of HIV-transmission risk. PEP would not be warranted for this type of minimal exposure. I would be surprised if an HIV specialist would even offer it.

You and your partner should read through the information in the chapter devoted to magnetic couples in the archives of this forum. It should provide considerable reassurance. In addition you may wish to consider implementing some of the harm-reduction strategies discussed there.

As for celibacy, I'd recommend against that as well. Catholic priests have tried it for years and just look how well it's working out for them!

Be well.

Re: concerned about precum where do I send donation?
Lubrication and HIV Risk