Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you and advice for people looking for advice.
Jun 1, 2011

Dear Dr Frascino,

I have never submitted a question but have read allot of postings on this site and have always found answers, comfort and information here. It is a tremendous source of relief reading posts of other people who are scared (justifiably and unjustifiably at times :))by this disease and to know that others are experiencing the same fears. Over the last eight years or so I have developed an increasingly debilitating anxiety about HIV and contracting it. I have had numerous tests and spend YEARS waiting around for window periods that never end because of constant perceived exposures(mostly minimal threats at best) that force me to restart my 3 and 6 month test count down. Beacause Of this site and the people answering and asking the questions, I have taken action and started getting psychological help today to combat my fears and anxiety. One day soon, this will hopefully allow me to WOO-HOO my body AND my mind. As a curve ball, not two hours after my first session with a shrink, I had a panic attack after getting cut and bleeding from getting cut by a persons fingernail.

Your words on this site mean allot to me and I'm sure allot of other people. I have found every answer I have been looking for without having to EVER ask you a question. The archives are very extensive, and to all the other people freaking out - I PROMISE, SOMEBODY ELSE HAS FREAKED OUT ABOUT EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE FREAKING OUT ABOUT AND HAS ALREADY ASKED THE GOOD DOCTOR THE QUESTION FOR YOU.

Thank you again for your sound medical advice and helping me through this forum to see that I may need help to confront mental issues.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments and for taking the time to write and share your experience. The archives are indeed "very extensive" and I absolutely agree that folks tend to freak out over identical (or at least very similar) situations. I don't mind answering similar (or identical) questions multiple times; however, there is no way I can respond individually to the astounding volume of questions that cram their way into my "inbox" on a continuous basis from throughout the cyber-universe. If folks would use the archives effectively, they could quickly find the information and/or reassurance they desire with just a few clicks of the mouse. For instance I'm confident you found a number of posts about the HIV risk of being scratched by someone's fingernail, right? (Absolutely no HIV risk.) Hopefully your post will encourage others to use the archives!

I'm delighted you have begun your counseling sessions! BRAVO! I'm hoping others will follow your lead here as well. Left untreated irrational fears can indeed become debilitating. (The archives have many examples of this unfortunate situation as well.)

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help, quick question hopefully quick answer
Next
SERIOUSLY WANT TO END THIS DOC.THANKS TO CONCLUDE!! Donation Cont

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.