Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A Very Scared Wife - A Loving Doctor - And Double my Donation! Please help my wife Dr. Bob.
Jun 1, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob,

Please help me and my wife understand the HIV virus. We had 2 terrifying situations at church today.

Situation 1: We were at church today and the person (gentleman) sitting in front of us was messing with a scab on his ear. His ear was bleeding quite a bit and he was wiping the blood with his fingers and then he started using a tissue. Then he would wipe the blood on his fingers and just rub the blood into his fingers and rub it into his hands by rubbing his hands and fingers together. A few seconds later, when he was leaving church -- Lets just say 30 seconds went by, and church let out. He then went to say goodbye and patted my wife on her back. She was wearing a T-shirt along with a shirt over the top her T-shirt. She also just yesterday sun-burned her back so bad that she has blistering (OPEN BLISTERS) and (OPEN CUTS) from the burns on her back and is (IN PAIN) and now anxiously concerned. Assuming this man is HIV+ and all this happened above... with him messing with his blood, coming from his bleeding ear and just wiping it onto his fingers and hands. Now HIV+ fluid is on his hands and just moments later he is saying goodbye and patting my wife on her back exactly in the spot (with the OPEN BLISTERS and OPEN WOUNDS on her back). What are her chances of catching the HIV virus from this incident?

Should she be tested? She just had her yearly and all her blood work is great.

Should we take her in to get started on PEP?

What should we do?

Situation 2:

Once we got to the car she took her Shirt and her T-shirt off immediately due to shear terror. She changed her clothes in the car and took both of the above shirts to wrap them into another shirt she had in the back seat. Now she had touched both her shirt and her T-shirt with her horrific hands, in the same exact spot where this gentleman touched her shirts and patted her back. She also has very messed up hands as she works with chemicals all day and her hands have open wounds (cuts like paper cuts, scratches, scrapes, pulled back skin and nails that are torn off) Her hands are always in stinging pain due to her work. (NO BANDAGES ON HER HANDS) She lets them air dry and heal them. So she is not a hand shaker. Now Assuming some HIV+ Fluid did come off of this mans hands onto her shirt where he patted her back - now she is touching all over the shirt wrapping it into another shirt to hit the dry cleaners with her (BAD UNBANDAGED OPEN WOUNDED HANDS). and she touched the same exact spot on the shirt where he was patting her back -- OPEN HANDS - SAME SPOT. Her concern is the HIV+ virus coming off the shirt onto and into her messed up hands. This was after we walked to the car. So can you answer this as well. Is catching HIV from this possible??

What are her chances of catching the HIV virus from this incident with her hands in such bad shape and touching in the same exact spot where this HIV+ gentleman touched her shirt?

Should she be tested for this? Again, she just had her yearly and all her blood work is great.

Should we take her in to get started on PEP?

What should we do?

Help us Doctor Bob. My wife is so scared.

Thank You and we will be donating quite large to your foundation,

Bill

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Bill,

Situation 1: HIV-acquisition risk? Nonexistent.

: HIV testing? Not warranted.

: PEP? Absolutely not.

: What to do? Stop worrying.

Situation 2: Exactly the same answers as Situation 1 above.

Bill, you tend to write in quite frequently under various names with minor variations of this question. I can assure you my assessment will not change. Perhaps the "quite large" donation to my foundation should be applied to psychotherapeutic counseling to help you address your irrational HIV fears.

Dr. Bob

Previous
help me dr bob donation in the way
Next
Please help, quick question hopefully quick answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.