Have you ever had a case?

Hi Doctor,

Just wondering if you have ever had a case of someone getting HIV from performing oral sex (and only oral sex) with MSM? Reading the Medhelp.org website, they are stating that it is not at all possible to get HIV from Giving or receiving Oral sex. Dr.'s Hansfield and Cooke both agree that you cannot get HIV from giving or receiving oral sex. Do you agree with them?

Thanks!!!

I have had HIV-positive patients tell me that oral sex was there only HIV risk. You can read other similar testimonials in the archives. These types of reports are, of course, only anecdotal. We have no way of confirming one way or the other if oral sex was indeed the only risk activity. Whether I agree or disagree with Drs. Hansfield and Hook is unimportant. Rather, I would prefer to present the scientific evidence we have and the current CDC guidelines and let each individual decide for himself. When considering HIV-transmission risk it is also important to note there are many potentially confounding variables, including viral strain, host immune integrity, concurrent STDs, local trauma, etc. In other words not all blow jobs are identical. I'll post below some information from the archives discussing our current understanding of the potential HIV-acquisition/transmission risk associated with oral sex.

Sex with someone who is HIV+ (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX, 2011) Mar 11, 2011

Living with it for 10 years
medhelp.org