Sores on pubic region and upper thigh

Hi, I have sores reddish and raw on my pubic region and on my upper leg. I was unaware that they were there. I was in Asia and I went to a commercial sex worker (i know it's bad...sorry) and had sex with a condom on. Unfortunately, I did not know the sores were there prior to having sex. It was only directly following sex that i realized they were there. I believe they may be herpes but have never gotten a positive confirmation from doctor. Can you please advise as to what the chances of transmission are in that incident? Also, do you suggest I start taking the HIV drugs? I am still in Asia for the day and will be returning tomorrow. Tomorrow will be 5 days post exposure. I will gladly donate to your worthy cause if you send me a link to do so. Thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot diagnose the cause of your sores over the Internet. I would recommend you see a dermatologist or your general medical doctor for evaluation and management of that problem. From an HIV-acquisition perspective, if the latex condom was used properly and did not break, your HIV risk should be negligible. Antiretrovirals are not warranted. Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is only recommended for significant HIV exposures and it must be started within 72 hours of the exposure. You are now five days out from the incident and it is extremely unlikely you had a significant HIV exposure. Consequently there is absolutely no indication for consideration of PEP.

If you remain worried, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The primary reason for doing so would be to gain psychological peace of mind.

Thank you for your interest in supporting The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Donation information for the foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Good luck. Be well.

late seroconversion, diabetic on insulin and extremely stressed.
Important Hep C / HIV worry please help