The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do i need to go for HIV test

May 27, 2011

hi, i had Herpes Zoster infection 1.5 years back. my doctor suggest for HIV test. i had ELISA test on same day and found as my wife got test for HIV. lab report is non reactive. but when i ask lab to explain, they said they did some card test as a preliminary test and found her as positive but when they did contra test (2nd level of test). the report is non-reactive. she is 5 month pregnant. they said if we feel we can go for ELISA test else not required. my wife is very sensitive from her childhood. my doctor suggest no need of any test and said card test may give wrong results and if counter test is negative means she is negative. we never had any exposure to HIV. please suggest what to do. we are very afraid.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Do you and your wife need to get repeat HIV tests? Absolutely not. There are three reasons why:

1. If you have never had an HIV exposure, there is absolutely no way you could be HIV infected.

2. A positive preliminary HIV test followed by a negative, more sensitive confirmatory test is considered a negative HIV test.

3. Pregnancy can cause nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies, which can result in false-positive or indeterminate HIV test results.

I absolutely agree with your doctor. Both you and your wife are HIV negative and there is absolutely no need or additional HIV testing.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Can't stop worrying
Freaking Out About Exposure to HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint