The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom broke during oral sex

May 27, 2011

Dear Dr Frascino,

I received protected oral sex only from a sex worker and found the condom leaking after the act. She claims she tested negative for hiv and std's just a couple of days before our encounter. I'm worried, and I'm wondering if I should take a hiv test 3 months after the encounter. Thanks for answering my question and for caring.

Worried dude

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Dude.

Insertive oral sex, even without latex protection, carries only a very low risk for acquiring HIV. However, there are a number of other STDs that are much more readily transmissible via oral sex. You report you "found the condom leaking." Unfortunately from that description I can't determine how significantly the condom failed, but we can at least determine that it was not entirely intact. Consequently there is at least a theoretical risk you could have been exposed to and/or acquired an STD. I would recommend routine STD screening plus a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The statistical odds are all in your favor that you did not acquire HIV (or other STDs) from this episode. Testing should provide psychological peace of mind an put an end to your worrying. Then instead of being "worried dude" you'll just be "dude" or maybe "WOO-HOO-ing dude," both of which are way cooler than "worried dude".

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Scary messages don't work
Chances of catching HIV?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint