The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

May need PEP please respond

May 26, 2011

Hello, last night I foolishly had unprotected sex with my boyfriend of 4 years. We have been previously tested before because I have HIV phobia. I was wondering if I should take PEP since he gets angry at me for broaching the subject of my cocnern. He says that is a mental thing that I have and he is not sick. He has confessed to cheating on me with one person twice since our relationship began but he says he wore a condom and I believe him. Prior to that we were tested and both negative, I've been tested more recently and still negative.

What is your suggestion? I am kind of on a time line.

Response from Dr. Frascino


If you "believe" your boyfriend used a latex condom properly whenever he cheated on you and if he tested HIV negative prior to that, then you would have to "believe" your HIV risk is negligible, right?

My advice is simple:

1. Stop having unprotected sex and you won't have to worry about conundrums like your current situation.

2. Get help from a licensed mental health professional for your "HIV phobia." If you don't, it could ruin not only your current relationship but your future relationships as well.

3. Talk to your boyfriend about your fears and your decision to get professional help. Ask if he will get a rapid HIV test now to calm your current worries while you are actively working on your "HIV phobia" problem.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Still haven't taken the test -- 8 months and counting
CDC reply about transmission of HIV via oral route

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint