For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

May need PEP please respond

Hello, last night I foolishly had unprotected sex with my boyfriend of 4 years. We have been previously tested before because I have HIV phobia. I was wondering if I should take PEP since he gets angry at me for broaching the subject of my cocnern. He says that is a mental thing that I have and he is not sick. He has confessed to cheating on me with one person twice since our relationship began but he says he wore a condom and I believe him. Prior to that we were tested and both negative, I've been tested more recently and still negative.

What is your suggestion? I am kind of on a time line.

If you "believe" your boyfriend used a latex condom properly whenever he cheated on you and if he tested HIV negative prior to that, then you would have to "believe" your HIV risk is negligible, right?

My advice is simple:

1. Stop having unprotected sex and you won't have to worry about conundrums like your current situation.

2. Get help from a licensed mental health professional for your "HIV phobia." If you don't, it could ruin not only your current relationship but your future relationships as well.

3. Talk to your boyfriend about your fears and your decision to get professional help. Ask if he will get a rapid HIV test now to calm your current worries while you are actively working on your "HIV phobia" problem.

Still haven't taken the test -- 8 months and counting
CDC reply about transmission of HIV via oral route