Could I have become infected with HIV?

Dr. Bob. First, I would like to compliment you on the amazing job that you do in helping to inform people here, I really enjoy reading your responses. I've never been one to donate but I just sent a donation to your organization, I can see what a great service you offer to people, keep it up as so many of us appreciate it!

So as you probably hear daily, people will say they did a stupid thing, and I'm another one of those. I'll admit that I'm one of those paranoid people too but the truth is, I don't know if I put myself at risk for HIV and / or what risk I put myself at for other std's.

So here goes, I am a 38 year old bi-sexual male and I've had a few sexual episodes with a male partner over a period of about two weeks. When I began to learn of his past through another person, I ended the relationship there. It was no longer worth the risk. Someone who believed that I was sexually active with him, put the scare into me about his bad sexual past and also said that he's passing diseases left and right, one being hiv. The person who told me this also happens to be someone who pretty much despises him, so at the same time I looked at the source as too how credible the information was.

So here goes, and these may sound like some stupid questions but I'm going to ask anyway, I'd rather feel stupid for asking but at least be educated in the end.

Here's what we did. First, on each occasion he put the condom on himself and then I performed oral sex on him. Could there be any virus / std etc... that I could have gotten from him just handling the condom and then it being in my mouth? My initial thought is no, but I really don't know.

Next, what is the likelihood of contracting something through kissing / exchange of saliva.

Finally, one last question. I have heard / read so many mixed things about this so I wanted to ask. If I guy is performing oral sex on a woman and there is no protection between him and her, can he contract hiv? This is assuming the guy has poor oral health, gums that often bleed, and just poor general oral health / gums.

Please let me know. I'm sorry for all of the questions but I would love to hear an educated answer. Everything I've asked is pertaining to me and these episodes happene about five weeks ago. I now have a runny nose, sneezing, cough and some shortness of breath (no sore throat) and sneezing. Also, under my left arm and just out of the blue, it feels irritated, like a rash that I don't actually see. No swollen lymph nodes that I can see.

I live in a hot climate and it's not common to have a cold at this time of the year. Also, the cough is really throwing me off since I've never had a cough like this before either. On the other hand, I always remind myself how paranoid I can get, I'm hoping that's what this is and I'm looking too far into the symptoms as I know they can be from a million of things.

Looking forward to your response, thank you in advance.

Shawn

Hi, Shawn.

Responding to your three questions:

1. Nope.

2. Essentially nonexistent (unless you both had active oral bleeding).

3. Cunnilingus is considered to have a very low risk for HIV-acquisition/transmission without extenuating circumstances. See link below.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated. As for philanthropy in general I've always found that whatever I give in the true spirit of compassion and generosity is returned to me a thousandfold in a myriad of ways. Chances are you'll have the same experience.

Your HIV-acquisition risks would be considered extremely low to negligible. The primary reason to consider HIV testing would be to gain psychological peace of mind. I'm confident you would test negative, as the odds are astronomically on your side.

Be well. Stay well.

Cunnilingus and a bleeding lip.. (CUNNILINGUS, 2011) Jan 27, 2011

about you
approval of rilpivirine