CMV

Hi Dr. Bob, 1) how long has CMV been around and 2)can it delay production of antibodies? 3)Can it be fatal, eventually causing death? 4)Is coughing a primary symptom of this virus? I have never in my life heard of this virus until now. 5) When a person has an STD panel, is CMV checked for usually? I would be greatful if you answer my questions. Im really worried please help. I have been sick for almost a year now.

Relax Max. CMV (cytomegalovirus) has been around for a long, long time. It's a very common infection and is usually harmless. Once someone contracts CMV, he has it for life. Somewhere between 50% and 80% of all adults in the U.S. are infected with CMV by the age of 40. Most folks infected with CMV have no symptoms and may not even know they have contracted the virus. CMV can cause serious problems, however, in people with weakened or deficient immune systems. See link below.

Cytomegalovirus (CMV)August 4, 2010

hiv/cmv coinfection
Time to Seroconvert