Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV through sharing food/drinks/etc?
May 21, 2011

Hi. Last week I went to my boyfriend's graduation, and so, I went to dinner with his family. His father is HIV+. During the dinners, my boyfriend began to take food from his father's plate (which I guess may have had contact with the father's saliva) and was eating it. Later on, my boyfriend touched my food with his fork and kissed me. I am concerned because I have cuts all over my lip (they were very chapped). I wanted to know if I could contract HIV this way (my mother is a dentist and said HIV patients often have bleeding gums... so I am scared some of his blood may have made contact with my cuts)? Could my boyfriend get HIV from sharing food (and possibly glasses or utensils) with his father? Am I at risk if I have any sexual contact with my boyfriend (when we first got together I had him get tested since he had had other sexual partners, and he was not HIV+) or if we kiss?

I am really nervous. Please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your boyfriend's table manners may not be the best, but he's certainly not at risk of either contracting or transmitting HIV via casual contact, such as sharing utensils, glasses or a half-eaten batch of Matzoh Balls Ranchero! See link below. I'd also suggest you spend some time reviewing the information on this site, paying particular attention to exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. One wonders how you made it this far in your life without learning a bit more about HIV/AIDS! Obviously our HIV/AIDS prevention campaigns are not reaching their intended target!

Dr. Bob

Re: HIV transmission Risk, WILL DONATE (CASUAL CONTACT, 2010)Mar 18, 2010

Previous
Bathhouse Glass Cut
Next
Irish guy back again with a question - It's been a while Doc!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.