Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should i still be worried about HIV? or am I just paranoid?
May 21, 2011

Hello Doctor, On October the 15th 2010 i had sex with a prostitute in a beijing hotel. I used a condom, and it did not break as far as i know. I didn't have any symptoms at all, but overcome with guilt, i decided to get tested for HIV. I had two HIV serology tests to start with, one 2 weeks after which the doctor told me only covered my previous exposures, and one at 3 months, both were negative. at the time, I was too embarrassed to tell the doctor i slept with a prostitute, so i lied and told him i stepped on a syringe. Later i gained the courage to tell him the truth, so he tested me for STDs which came back negative, and He said it was also necessary for me to have another HIV serology at 6 months. So i had the test on april 25, and it came back negative. I have a couple of questions i would like to ask: 1. Do you think it was likely this prostitute might have had HIV or any STDs in the beijing hotel? 2. Why did my doctor tell me 3 months was conclusive, then later tell me 6 months? 3. Did I really have an exposure to begin with? As i used a condom and it didnt break or slip off? 4. Did I wait long enough after 6 months (ten days to be exact) before coming back for another test? 5. Am i totally clear for this incident? thank you so much :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. How the hell would I know? Your guess would be as good (or perhaps better) than mine. After all you slept with her, right?

2. Once again how the hell would I know? Shouldn't you be asking your doctor why he changed his recommendation rather than asking me to read your doctor's mind? Personally I don't feel a six-month test is necessary.

3. If the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break), you would not have had an HIV exposure. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how.

4. Yes.

5. Absofrickenlutely! WOO-HOO!

You're welcome!

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE HELP DOC BOB,BACK WITH WORRIES,DONATION CONTD.
Next
HEY DR. SUFER BOB --- WERE STILL ALIVE AND WELL HITTIN THE SWELLS!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.