Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Bob...we need to work on our communication!
May 20, 2011

Dr. Bob, Your lack of response to my repeated questions is starting to make me feel like I am the only one in this friendship who is attempting to communicate...just kidding I know you are a very busy man!

My story is this: After what I thought was a no/low risk situation I came down with a fever (one day) followed by a splotchy rash the next day(lasted only one day). These happened at 7 and 8 days after my encounter. I had drank a little to much that night and, although I thought I remembered everything I could be sure that I did, so I decided to get tested for piece of mind.

My testing consisted of: wk 6 HIV 1 DNA RT PCR and HIV1&2 antibody testing wk 8 HIV 1 (blood test) wk 14 HIV 1 Unigold rapid test.

All tests were negative.

My questions are: 1.) Are these test conclusive and woo-hooable? 2.) Do you recommend another test for HIV2 or is this enough? 3.)And last but not least, when I took my rapid test that young lady used the dropper to place my blood sample in the test area then applied the solution (4-5 drops) to the test area. However, when she was moving the rapid test she dropped it on the counter and it tipped sideways and a little of the solution spilled out. Would this affect the test results? It is my understanding that the test have a built in "fail safe" that lets you know if the test wasnt done right but I just want to be sure.

I really appreciate all the time you take to help all of us with questions. You are a great man, with ok communication skills :)but I think its possible for us to save this friendship. Wishing you all the best.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Yep. WOO-HOO!

2. Nope. You've had enough assuming you didn't have unsafe sex with someone from Burkina Faso (or some other West African country).

3. No worries mate. The test would read invalid if not performed correctly!

Are we back to being BFFs?

Dr. Bob

Previous
i got hiv through oral
Next
Is this over?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.