HIV from receiving oral sex (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX, 2011)

Dr. Frascino,

Hello. 8 days ago I received oral sex from someone who, I later found out, has HIV. I don't/didn't have any lesions, cuts on my penis. I did ejaculate, also urinated multiple times, as well as thoroughly washed my penis in alcohol within hours of the contact. Admittedly, I am a bit freaked out over it. I can't tell how much of the freak out is legitimate and how much of it is angst over the reality that I would've never have interacted with this person outside that context. My concern, since I never had any visible cuts, the possibility of transmission through my urethra, despite urinating multiple times, and cleaning with alcohol within an 1/2 hour - hour of exposure. Two questions: should I start taking prophylactic antiretorvirals ? (and) Do you think I need to be tested/is transmission possible from this exposure?

Thank you, Peter

Hello Peter,

Why are you freaking out now only after finding out your buddy was positively charged??? If you never found out his HIV status, would you be at any less risk right now? No, of course not! We must consider that all our sexual partners could be "virally enhanced" and take all the necessary precautions to prevent spread of the virus. Remember, one out of every five of the 1,100,000 HIV-positive Americans has absolutely no idea he is infected with the virus. The HIV-acquisition risk for unprotected insertive oral sex is very low, but not completely nonexistent. See link below.

Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is only warranted for significant HIV exposures and must be started within 72 hours of the exposure. You don't qualify on either count.

A single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all that's warranted.

Good luck Peter.

Sex with someone who is HIV+ (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX, 2011) Mar 11, 2011

Drunken Blackout
Scared... PLEASE help!!