Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv at a rave? (NEEDLESTICK AT A RAVE, 2011) (URBAN LEGENDS, 2011)
May 14, 2011

Hello about 3 weeks ago I went to a rave in New York City. I took MDMA and was on my own. I never heard about any needle stick rumors prior to this night. At one point in the night I remembered someone brushing against my arm where my skin was exposed and it felt like something sharp may have touched me. I had no cut or anything and I looked in the mirror and saw nothing. I brushed it off. A week later I got a tooth infection. I was prescribed Amoxicillin for the infection. The next day my tongue began to sting. I figured it was either due to the tooth infection, the anti biotics, or the dentist hitting a nerve. I stopped taking the anti biotics about a week ago and my doctor said I might have a fungal infection on my tongue from the anti biotics. Ive been using a rinse to help clean my tongue for the last 3 days, however there isn't much improvement. I looked up that a yeast infection in the mouth is common with HIV positive individuals. I began to worry and thought back to the night I was at the rave. Then a few days later I developed a sore throat, I began to worry more. Finally today I woke up with a fever, head ache, and sore throat, plus my tongue is still bothering me. I'm not sure if the tongue and the cold are related or not Im not sure if it was possible that someone pricked me so quick without me noticing. Im not sure but I have a small red dot on my arm where the prick could have been but I remember thinking it was my left arm and the dot is on my right arm. I developed alot of the early signs of early HIV infection and I have been honestly prettified that someone pricked me when my back was turned and I was vulnerable. Is my concern legitimate, or am I just paranoid? I got a test today although its only been three weeks. The rave was indoors and security was checking people for weapons but Im pretty sure it was possible to sneak in a needle.My doctor told me Im crazy and that its not possible, but am I? I mean its not like I heard about these rumors before and I went in thinking it was going to happen. Something happened and then I thought what if it was a needle stick?! I wouldn't be worried about it if I didnt have the symptoms which is the scariest part! Im very worried please get back to me as soon as possible!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Question: "Is my concern legitimate, or am I just paranoid?"

Answer: Paranoid. Absolutely, positively loony tunes. I agree with your doctor. You're a fluffernutter. So relax, Max. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. See link below.

Dr. Bob

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q214033.html

Previous
betaseron
Next
Dry blood on dollar bill used to snort oxycodone?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.