Transmission

Dear Dr. Franscino, I have read through your forum with great interest. You are doing a wonderful job, calming the fears of so many. I have a question for you, which I hope you can answer. Is it possible for a middle aged woman, to acquire HIV from an unprotected one night stand, with a man who is HIV positive, but whose viral load is undetectable? The encounter was very brief, and no ejaculation took place inside, but outside by his own hand, which he then inserted into my vagina (same hand with white stuff all over it!!!). Six weeks after the incident I experienced a seroconversion type of illness. I thought that the chances of getting something in a one nighter were one in 20,000 or a similar figure? (I think he had taken Viagra). Would really appreciate an answer. Yours sincerely, from a very frightened woman.

Hello Very Frightened Woman,

Is it "possible"? Yes, it is theoretically possible. However, it would be very unlikely. See link below for very recent news on this topic.

I would recommend HIV-antibody testing at the three- and six-month marks. However, please note, the odds are very much in your favor that you did not acquire the virus from Viagra-Guy.

Good luck. Be well.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q215098.html

why my elisa is always reactive???
tested oraquick after 2 years from relationship