Significant Risk of Infection ??

I was in a sexual relationship with a much older man for almost 2 years. He recently died at the age of 54 in his sleep, apparently due to a heart attack. I have just found out that he was HIV +, even though he denied this fact to me on numerous occasions. I later found out he was on truvada, Norvir, and Reyatnez for hiv, Acyclovir for herpes and lipitor. I was the bottom on many occasions, also the top, and only precum was exchanged. We didn't wear condoms on most occasions and he never came in me. I have heard that someone that is on HAART therapy has a significantly lower chance of transmitting the virus, plus I was only exposed to precum during sex. Am I at SIGNIFICANT risk for acquiring HIV given the circumstances ??? I plan on getting tested in 3 months.

Thanks for any information.

Nervous in FL

Hello Nervous in FL,

It's indeed unfortunate (and somewhat unconscionable) that your partner of two years did not disclose his HIV status to you. Even worse is that he directly lied about his positive status on numerous occasions!

It is true that when an HIVer is on effective antiretroviral therapy that drives the HIV plasma RNA viral load to undetectable levels that the risk of HIV transmission is significantly decreased; however, the risk is not completely eliminated. Precum can contain infectious virus and result in transmission of HIV. Considering you had unprotected anal receptive sex "on many occasions," you have had a significant HIV acquisition risk. HIV-antibody testing is warranted at both the three- and six-month marks.

Good luck!

Just to say Hi!
HIV from Prostate Massage