The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCR DNA Councellor

May 7, 2011

Dear Dr. Robert J Frascino

A Counselor asked to get a DNAPCR test. My exposure, I received a blowjob with condom on from CSW in Dubai. I told the councelor that heavy french kissing was done.

There was no anal or vaginal intercourse.

After reading your archive i felt my exposure dosent warrant a test. The counsellor said he has seen people getting infected with HIV via blowjob with condom on.

I have given blood for the test. Praying i would not be affected.

Whats is your opinion on

1) Counsellor assessment ?

2) Out come of my result - pcr dna ?

Thanks for taking your valuable time off in answering questions ignorant worried wells like me.

Sincerely Don

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Don,

1. I disagree with the counselor's advice and recommendations! HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. The HIV-acquisition risk for unprotected insertive oral sex is very low. If a latex condom is used properly, that very low risk becomes nonexistent.

2. I also disagree with the counselor's recommendation to get an HIV qualitative PCR DNA test. This test is not approved for HIV diagnostic purposes. The gold standard for HIV-diagnostic testing remains an HIV-antibody test outside the window period. Your test result will be negative (undetectable).

My suggestion is that you find a more competent counselor!

Dr. Bob

I'd like to share my story in hopes of helping others (ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF SYMPTOMS BEING UNRELIABLE, 2011)
Unrprotected Anal Sex

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint