Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worries for having symptoms even after whoo hoo?
May 7, 2011

Hello Doc this is my first question in this great website of information on STDs. I am from Sydney Australia I would definitely donate for the great work you are doing. Now I hope what ever concerns or symptoms I am having might be of my anxiety. I had an unprotected oral sex (cunnlingus) with a Asian sex worker about 14 months ago but during this time I used to experience pain in my Wisdom tooth and after that with in 2 weeks I did had a test which was negative and I know that it is totally useless in the point of HIV (as window period is 6 weeks to 3 months). The symptoms I experienced after this encounter are: after 2 months severe pain in my wisdom tooth which i got it removed, 2 weeks of consistent cold, problem when talking as throat used to feel sore, rashes and itching on legs and every morning after waking up cum or some discharge on my penis(but i thought this was due to frequent masturbation as I have been doing this since I was 15 at least more than 5-7 time a week. 10 months after that encounter I went to a transsexual for erotic massage where we had protected oral sex and she tried to insert penis into my anus with condom but my anus was so tight that I got severe pain and asked her to immediately remove it, she also used massage creams where ever required so I am not at all concern with this encounter. Ok that all happend in 2010. Recently on April 4th 2011 I had another HIV and other std test at a sexual health clinic which all came negative (whoo hoo) but I want to ask some questions regarding the testing too, The concern I have is that during when they took blood I fainted do this effect results. How much possibility is their of a false negative. The current symptoms I am having are whiteness on my tongue upper area the bottom are near to teeth is normal (I am thinking it as oral Candida) I did not have and flu or any weight loss indeed i gained 12 kilos but I had a rash on back just above hip but I thought it was due to bed bugs which are a lot in our room. Yesterday I was surfing the net I found a home test of mixing saliva with water early in the morning which said that if cloudy string show in the water then it is oral candida. I did it and found lot of strings in the water. And the other current symptoms i am having are discharge from penis in the morning during going to stool and itching in the groin and itching in armpits. I am really concerned now all this is anxiety or some thing is there in me do you want me to get tested again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Aussie,

A negative HIV-antibody test outside the seroconversion "window" trumps symptoms each and every time. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected.

Regarding your HIV-acquisition risk:

1. Cunnilingus carries only a very minimal risk for HIV transmission/acquisition, barring extenuating circumstances. (You can read much more about the risks associated with cunnilingus in the archives where you will find a chapter devoted to oral sex.)

2. There is no HIV risk associated with erotic massage, be it tranny or otherwise. Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Not all massage creams are compatible with latex. (Oil-based products are not compatible with latex.)

Despite your risks, your negative STD and HIV tests obtained more than four months after your last walk on the wild side are definitive.

The home test for candida is not accurate or recommended. Your symptoms are indeed consistent with anxiety, not HIV. Consider getting psychotherapeutic counseling to help with your anxiety and also to explore sexual orientation issues.

G'day mate!

Dr. Bob

Previous
what are my risks?
Next
WOOOOOWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.