Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral sex with HIV positive guy
May 7, 2011

Hello there, well I have this story in my chest for two weeks now ! I am so stressed out and dizzy from worries so much. ( I am gay ) Two weeks ago I had a night with a guy who I hardly know him well , we had oral sex twice at night , and after wards he told me he's HIV positive and I freaked out :( I am so worried of getting infected somehow, I actually did a lot of research that there's only small risk, but still, you cant help the worries.

So I went to the clinic and took the test called "NAT" because I had been risk for just a short of time , so which they told me It works for people who have been risk above 5 days , I tasted mine at the day 5 and also at the day 8 , and both of my resulted were negative. But I still worry if the Hiv I received might be small and might takes time to find? Thiss so bother me.

I am still worries anyway , I dunno how can I move on my life while this story stuck in my head .

Am I literary safe or should I be worry ? how can I move on. this's torture :((

Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

First and foremost why did you freak out only after your sex-buddy advised you he was "virally enhanced"? If he hadn't disclosed his status, would you be at any less risk for acquiring the virus. No! Of course not. Want I'm trying to point out is that we must assume all our sex partners could be "positively charged" and take all the necessary precautions to prevent viral transmission. Remember, one out of every five HIV-positive Americans has absolutely no idea he is infected with the virus.

Your HIV-acquisition risk, as you determined from your own research, is very low, but not completely nonexistent.

NAT (nucleic acid testing) can be helpful in diagnosing acute retroviral infection before seroconversion (having detectable levels of specific anti-HIV antibodies in the blood). However, this test is not considered completely definitive (at least not yet). It is still recommended you get a standard HIV-antibody test outside the window period. The chances you did not contract HIV from this sexperience are now astronomically in your favor.

If you continue to have difficulty with anxiety over this incident, see your doctor. Anti-anxiety medication and/or psychotherapeutic counseling can be very beneficial.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Needlestick from HIV+ person
Next
Please Help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.