Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please, please, please.. need your response.
May 7, 2011

Dr. Bob,

I'm a male, 25 years old. My scenario is this, In January 4, 2011, I think I had a risky sex experience with another girl (without knowing her HIV status), it is an unprotected sex. We did penis to vagina sex (2 rounds), she even gave me an oral sex in my manhood, we did kiss also, but no anal sex involved. After 3 weeks, I become paranoid, thinking that I got an STD from her. Because I'm seeing yellow stain in my underwear, but not a discharge. I did go to a urologist to check if i got infected with STD, after the Doctor diagnosed my urine sample, he said that I'm not infected by any STD, it's just me being paranoid, guilty and anxious. At first, I kinda not believe him, but after the symptoms in my mind was gone, then I'm OK. After that result, I got back on my normal life again. Then suddenly, in early week of April 2011, I felt symptoms, like joint pains (in the knee), dry skin, kinda fever, dry lips, a bit of sore throat lately, headaches. I thought of HIV, then the symptoms kinda become always there, because of my anxiety, guilt and me being paranoid again. Then I decided to get tested, I did go to a Social Hygiene Clinic, then the doctor there gave me an anti-body test, after a while we get the result and it's negative. I got a bit worry-free, but then again I remembered the window period that she is saying to me before the anti-body test. The risky sex experience with the other girl was on January 4, 2011, from there to my anti-body test on April 25, 2011, (which I got a negative result), I'm in, in the window period, right? But I remember me and my girlfriend did have unprotected sex last January 9, 2011, February 21, 2011 and April 18, 2011, but I believe that my girlfriend is HIV-free. Me and my girlfriend had a monogamous relationship for about 1 year and 2 months already. The thing that bothers me is that do I need to wait for another 3 months for an anti-body test, from the last unprotected sex with my girlfriend (which I believe is HIV-free) in April 18, 2011, or the April 25, 2011 anti-body test (which is negative) to me is conclusive.

Thanks Dr. Bob for reading my story, Hoping for your response and answer. Thank you and GOD Bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The HIV seroconversion window is defined as the first three months after exposure. Your potential exposure was January 4, 2011 and you tested HIV negative on April 25, 2011. This is obviously greater than three months and consequently your negative result can be considered conclusive. You are HIV negative.

You report you and your girlfriend are in a monogamous relationship (technically speaking, that's really no longer true, considering your recent extracurricular activities!) and that you believe she is HIV negative. If indeed she is HIV negative (and we know you are HIV negative from your recent testing), you have nothing to worry about and absolutely no reason for additional HIV testing. However, if your girlfriend is "monogamous" like you are "monogamous" and has sex with other folks, there would be a risk of STDs.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
ABSENSE OF "MORNING WOOD"
Next
Conclusive negative? (OVER TESTING LEADING TO FALSE POSITIVE RESULT, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.