Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

panicked...broken condom, he didn't tell me
May 4, 2011

Hi Dr. Bob...thanks for such a wonderful service.

Last Thursday, I hooked up with a guy online, and was the bottom in protected anal sex. I always practice safe anal sex...always. Well, I found out (after several minutes at least), that the condom broke. He knew about it, but kept going without telling me. He didn't ejaculate inside me, but "barebacked me" for a while (without my knowing). Needless to say, I'm scared and I'm furious with him.

He insisted he was negative, but when I asked him about his last tests, he was contradictory and nervous. Due to financial limitations, I chose not to get PEP...and now I wished I would have (now it's too late).

On Saturday and Sunday, I started noticing pain in my rectum/anus (inside, no discharge), and prodromal symptoms (tingling legs) typical with HSV2 onset. (I'm HSV2+).

So now I'm panicked. Haven't slept in days. The top won't return my calls, as I've asked him for a rapid HIV test (which, if neg, would alleviate my anxiety).

So, can you please offer some words of wisdom and advice?

thanks so much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Not sure I have words of wisdom and/or advice that will significantly help your situation, other than to encourage you to keep things in perspective as you endure the window period waiting for your definitive HIV test results.

On the downside, broken-condom sex carries the same degree of risk as unprotected sex, and being the receptive partner for anal sex is the riskiest route for acquiring HIV sexually. In addition your top gun scumbag, who didn't let you know the condom broke, is also now not returning your calls or agreeing to get a rapid HIV test.

However, on the upside, the exposure was relatively brief and he didn't ejaculate inside your love canal. The CDC's estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be positively charged is 5 per 1,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as we don't know scumbag's HIV status and ejaculation did not occur.

My advice is not to panic. It certainly won't help. Get help for your anxiety if needed during the window period. Anti-anxiety mediations and/or counseling can be very beneficial.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Donated 100$, Straight forward question about symptoms and accuracy.
Next
Exposed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.