Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is 3 months the new 6 months? Freakin' out a little here...
May 4, 2011

I am getting ready to test at 12 weeks and want more than anything for this to be over. I've tested negative on doctor administered rapid tests at 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10.5 weeks. If I test negative at 12 weeks, am I done or do I need to retest at 6 months? I'm planning to get a rapid(Determine HIV 1/2) and an elisa done. My doc says the rapid is 3rd generation, not sure if that makes any difference. I've read that I'm done at 3 months, but I've also read that people still test out to 6 months. I think my immune system is normal. My risk was very low, if not non-existent by some doctors opinions, but the CDC still lists it as a risk on their site(French kissing with a sex worker, no intercourse, no drugs, just the French kissing and only that)... What do you think, can I let this go if I get a negative at 12 weeks? Should I hold out and do 13 weeks instead? I'm going certifiably nuts, would appreciate some advice...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

French kissing is not considered a significant risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. HIV testing is generally not recommended for such a negligible risk.

Regarding HIV testing in general, a negative 12-week test would be considered definitive for a low-risk situation. The newer generation antibody tests (3rd and 4th generation) do detect infection somewhat sooner than older assays. However, no matter what assay you use, a negative 12-week HIV-antibody test after French kissing would be considered conclusive. Your previous tests at 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10.5 weeks were unwarranted and highly excessive.

Dr. Bob

Previous
These Bumps
Next
Sperm or mucous??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.