Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Teacher with HIV positive student
May 3, 2011

Dear sir,

I have struggled my entire life with OCD and other germ-related phobias. At one point in my life I was taking three to four shower a day and washing my hands until they cracked and bled. In recent years I have become much more at ease with touching things like subway poles, door knobs, etc. Yet I still have not conquered my unnatural fear of contracting HIV through common forms of touch -- shaking hands, handling objects that have been handled by others, prepared food, etc. I recently started teaching at a local college and found that one of my students is HIV positive. I realize that my fears are likely to be silly and paranoid, especially to a doctor, but I always get bogged down by degrees of touch. Example: say it's likely that she's got a cut on her hand or cuticle or somewhere else on her body, and maybe she touches it or rubs it (even accidentally) and then handles an assignment that she submits to me that comes in contact with a wound I have on my own hand/body. I think of these scenarios all the time and I realize they're sometimes paranoid and OCD-related but if one can get HIV by having a wound exposed to blood, is it really THAT outrageous for me to think accidental/unintentional contact with infected blood CAN happen, even if the chance is extremely low?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

". . . Is it really THAT outrageous to think accidental/unintentional contact with infected blood CAN happen, even if the chance is extremely low?" YEP! It really is "THAT outrageous." The only way you're going to be at any risk of contracting HIV from your student is if you decide to have unsafe sex with her or share intravenous syringes!

Your OCD may be better from your four-showers-per-day period, but it's still OCC (out of control)! I suggest you have ongoing psychotherapy with a licensed mental health professional to help you cope with your ongoing irrational fears.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
What does "properly used" really mean?
Next
HIV +

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.