The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

We both tested negative, but still i'm unsure.

May 1, 2011

I'm a 24 year old homosexual man who has been in a monogamous relationship for 2 years now. Me and my partner have used condoms consistently throughout the relationship. Recently, we both decided get tested for HIV and we both tested negative. He told me he wanted to have unprotected sex from now on, but i'm a bit unsure about this. Not that I don't trust him; he is a hardworking, educated guy, who has never cheat on me or anything. He tells me that he believes a monogamous, HIV negative couple SHOULD bareback because this represents trust within the relationship. He tells me that, besides the HIV issue, anal sex is completely safe and there is nothing at all to be worried about. I just thought that i would have been using condoms all my life, and made a lifestyle out of that. I don't know what to do. Please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino


It's absolutely true that two confirmed HIV-negative partners who remain monogamous could not transmit HIV to each other. However, the archives of this forum are loaded with examples of folks who firmly believed their partner would remain absolutely monogamous forever, but unfortunately that turned out not to be true (the out-of-town business trip, the lover's quarrel, the hot pizza delivery guy, whatever). Despite the vows of monogamy, I would still advise the latex condom offers an extra layer of protection and reassurance (so to speak!).

Dr. Bob

hiv transmission

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint