Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal Sex Worry
Apr 30, 2011

Dear Dr.

I'm Canadian living in Saudi Arabia. I am afraid to go to a hospital here because if I have hiv I could get in big trouble. I had sex on two occasions here with Pakistani workers whose status I do not know. I guess I bought cheap condoms because the first time, it broke. I thought that I had to go to the bathroom, so I was holding in what I thought was diarrhea. When I got home, I saw that it was sperm that I had been holding inside of me for about an hour! The second time, I was with another guy and when he came out, I took the condom off him and it had been completely busted through. So, two times, about a week apart, I received ejaculation. This was about two months ago. I have had a sore throat and coughing (there was also a dust storm) for almost a month now. I went to a doctor a month ago and he gave me antibiotics (omnicef) and said I had a cold infection (he said, "do you have your air conditioner on all the time?) Those antibiotics did nothing to help me. My sore throat is worse at night- it changes sides in my throat- my cough (that hacking kind from deep in my chest) seems to be improving but I still have it. I'm a mess right now with worry and just wonder what you think. I have not had a fever.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Broken-condom anal receptive sex carries the same risk as unprotected anal receptive sex. Symptoms are unfortunately notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Despite concerns about getting into trouble if you test HIV positive, you need HIV testing outside the window period. There really is no other alternative means to determine if you have acquired the virus. Leave the country if you must, but do get HIV tested and screened for other STDs as well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV symptoms more than 6 months
Next
Anal and oral with transexual

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.