Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk for top (with lambskin condom)
Apr 30, 2011

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to view my question. I am a 24 yr old gay male. About 3 weeks ago, i had anal sex with a man (which i did not really know). We hadn't done anything to each other but masturbate for a few minutes, until he pulled out a condom. I opened the condom and noticed it felt 'funny', but it was too dark to be able to tell exactly. it almost felt like it had been used, but i was sure it wasnt because i was the one to open the packet. moving on, i was the top/'insertive' guy. And to be honest, it felt like i was about to ejaculate from the moment the condom came on. But, he i inserted my penis (with the lambskin condom applied), and within the 2nd to 3rd 'in-and-out' thrust, i had ejaculated- the penetration itself lasted about 30-45 seconds, tops, as he kept thrusting himself until i was flaccid and penis slipped out. i dont mean to be so graphic, but im just hoping the details make a difference. It was after we finished that I reached for the wrapper and read lambskin condom. Ive done research to know that this does not protect against STDS. Also, It was sort of a promiscuous setting, which truthfully, I dont regularly take part in these sort of things, because I am partnered, and we do have unprotected sex frequently. Im just afraid (and very paranoid) that I mightve caught something, and even more afraid to transmit to my partner. Its been 3 weeks, and Ive read early signs of HIV include headaches, tiredness, and fever. Ive been having headaches and have been tired, then again, I am a college student and this has been finals week. Just rationalizing, I suppose. No fever, although I have been feeling something coming on for a few days. I wouldnt doubt that its my own mind playing tricks on me, or worse, Ive been stressing this so much that my immune system is shot and could be just getting sick. its been the first thing on my mind in the morning, and last thing that I probably think about while lying in bed at night, and I dont want to worry myself sick. I am thinking of getting tested soon, but realize there is a 3 month window period so im going to have to wait. So, I guess what im asking is: what is the likelihood of transmission, and does the lambskin condom really offer NO protection against STDs? Any piece of mind you could offer would be great.

have a great weekend, and thank you for taking the time!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You are correct: lambskin condoms do not protect against HIV and some other STDs. I would suggest you level with your partner and use latex condoms with him until your HIV-negative status can be confirmed. This is not only the best way to confront your guilt and anxiety; it's also the right thing to do.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
worried, I wiil donate $50
Next
I think I found the answer myself... are they OK?... would like to donate...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.