Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

low platelets

Hello! I am HIV+ with CD4 around 600-700 and CD4% of 26%. My viral load is between 15000-25000. I am not on therapy. My problem since I was diagnosed 5 months ago is my low platelets ranging around 50K-32K and also not reacting to cortisone (started treatment 3 weeks ago). Now my doctor want to start HAART asap in order to see the reaction on the platelets. I am really confused on what to do since my CD4 value are fine. Any advice? Shall I wait and see in the next weeks or starting right now. I am at this moment doing blood test every week.

Thanks a lot!

If no cause can be found for your thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) and a course of corticosteroids (cortisone) was not helpful, I would agree with your doctor and recommend you begin antiretroviral therapy. There is also mounting evidence that starting combination antiretroviral therapy "early," even with CD4 counts well above 500, is beneficial in decreasing damaging immune activation and also in preserving overall immune functioning.

Terrifying Fear of Getting HIV from HIV Test
Ulcer in the rectum