Added Information that could change your answer -- Please Help

Dear Dr. Bob,

In what happend below I have to tell you ,,, this was a FIRM HANDSHAKE -- while my 20 minute old owie was touching his hands in the condition as described below -- What are my chances of getting the HIV virus in this incident?

I am back for a return visit. I had a situation that brought back some anxiety. I would apreciate your help with this. I own a Company that manufactures Health Products. A man that we know is HIV+ came in today to pick up some products. I gave him a few extra things for free. He thanked me and shook my hand. OMG -- ON his hand he had two gashes from what he said he cut himself on Saturday on a Sliding glass door. His other mark on his thumb was agash from a pruning sheers from yardwork. Youi can see they were open wouns when he did them. 30 minutes earlier today I pulled off a hang-nail and some skin on my thumb and it was bleeding quite a bit. I didn't expect to touch anything today so I had no bandage or bandaid on my thumb. When I shook this mans hands -- my thumb hit the areas which he damaged on Saturday. Simple my open wound from 30 minutes ago touched his gashes and messed up hands during the handshake. NO BANDAGES on either of us. If this man has any HIV fluid on his hands - ANYTHING -- What are my chances of catching HIV from, this incident? Thank You in Advance and I will be donating as our company does evry quarter to your Foundation. Michael

Hello Michael,

Once again your fears are unwarranted and your HIV-acquisition risk completely nonexistent. Should my reassurance not be sufficient for you to put your fears permanently to rest (where they belong), you could get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark solely for psychological reasons. Medically, testing is not warranted. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Thank you to both you and your company for your ongoing support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). The support is warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well. Stop worrying!

Allergy Injections and HIV testing
Question