Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Broken Glove...Fever for 2 weeks
Apr 28, 2011

Hi Dr. Bob,

OK, so I've written you before and you have answered which made me feel much better and I got tested yada yada, and that was that. Negative. Any way, I've had a low fever for 13 days, which is 99.5 degrees, and severe sinus congestion. I went to my primary doc and she put me on Suprax which didn't work and now Levaquin which, after 3 days, also has not been able to get my fever to go away. She wrote me a script to go get blood work done, which to my horror says HIV among other tests. I can't help but start thinking back to how it felt to worry about HIV and am just wondering if I should ride this out or go and get blood work done. I tested for HIV previously via Rapid at 6 months and then ELISA at 14 months. Both were negative. The only exposure that could have occurred was last October when I was working as an EMT and my glove broke and I had a patients blood on me. I had no cuts, but I do pick my fingers. The medical center told me that doesn't count as exposure. So, what do you think? Go get the CBC, CMP, EBV and HIV tests done or just wait to see what happens with this antibiotic?

-Bio student.... soon to take MCAT.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Bio-Stud,

I agree with the advise you received from the medical center: no risk for HIV transmission. If this event is truly your only potential HIV exposure and if you have previously tested HIV negative outside of the window period, then there would be no reason to get retested now. The other tests are standard blood counts plus a test for Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis).

Sinusitis ("severe sinus congestion") can be difficult to treat and may require a protracted course of antibiotics before resolving.

Good luck with the MCAT.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Promethazine & Albuterol
Next
Allergy Injections and HIV testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.