Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood with condom breakage. Infected?
Apr 27, 2011

Me and my HIV + boyfriend have been using protection for almost two years. So far, I've never been infected. Recently we had a condom break unknowingly. I was on top. We've had this issue before, but there was blood present on my penis this time from him. We stopped right away and I cleaned myself off and went to the bathroom in attempting to remove anything in my urethra. He is a long time non-progressive with an undetectable Viral Load for a long time. I've been having intense anxiety and been experiencing headaches and small aches in my muscles and joints. In this situation, I wanted to know if Im making myself sick with nerves and paranoia, or if there is a good chance I've been infected. This is going to be a long three months. Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

A broken-condom incident with blood noted on your Mr. Happy does place you at some degree of risk for HIV. That your positively charged partner has an undetectable viral load significantly decreases, but does not totally eliminate the HIV-transmission risk. HIV-antibody testing is warranted. A course of post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) would have been warranted if the first dose could have been taken very soon (and no later than 72 hours) after the exposure. I would suggest you and your partner review the information in the archives of this forum. There you will find chapters devoted to magnetic couples, HIV sexual prevention, treatment and other relevant topics. I'll repost a link below as an example of what can be found in the archives. You may wish to consider some of the harm-reduction techniques for magnetic couples discussed in these archival posts.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q214634.html

Previous
Chronic HBV, AIDS and colorectal cancers
Next
Poz Person's risk for Genital Herpes (HERPES, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.