Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please consider my circumstances, I beg u.
Apr 26, 2011

Please I ask you to read my post and consider it before dismissing it as another "worried well" poster. I have posted before so I will not go into all the details again, but I am very ill and afraid that I have HIV despite my negative antibody results so far. The pain in my upper right abdominal area is getting worse. My liver enzymes remain elevated now for better than 2 months. I have tested negative for Hep A,B and C and all other STDS but my upper right abdominal pains are getting more pronounced and intense. I also continue to get yeast infections in between my buttocks and a white coating on my tongue. My doctor did a CT scan and Ultrasound of my liver and said everything was okay but the pain is almost unbearable. I really believe that I have CMV Colitis. I have even had blood in my stool. I have tested negative for HIV out to 38 weeks after my risk but the liver pain and elevated enzymes as well as the other symptoms really have me thinking I am infected. Doctor, what do you suggest I do in these circumstances and is there any way what is happening is not HIV related? I have hit a brick wall with my family doctor and am seriously in pain. I sincerely and respectively need you help, thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"Believing" you have CMV colitis and actually having CMV colitis are two very different things. The same applies to HIV. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 38 weeks are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. The evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. I can't diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet. However, what I can do with great certainty is advise what's not causing them: it's not HIV. If your family doctor is unable to find an underlying cause for your symptoms, get a second opinion from an internal medicine physician (internist). If, following that second opinion, no underlying physical cause can be elucidated, you should be evaluated for possible psychosomatic illness. (This causes very real symptoms. Check out the archives for gazillions of examples.)

You need to stop chasing a disease (HIV) you could not possibly have. A negative HIV-antibody test outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time.

Good luck. Feel better, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hamster Bite and HIV/HepC
Next
can you get hiv from putting your foot in a mans backside

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.